Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dr. "Hugs a lot"... stories of my local oncologist

So I may be a little bias but I think I have the best oncologist in town. She is AMAZING!! She has an infectious smile and a heart of gold that one would not expect from a doctor. The first time I met her was my first admittance into the hospital. She walks in after my second biopsy and introduces herself. She made the whole room feel a little better as she walked away on a Saturday morning (I know... doctors work on the weekends?! I didn't know that either). As I took my first steps into her office with my entourage of people on September 24th, there was still a soft, caring, gentle, kind doctor who really cared. As we left after receiving the news, she looks to me and asks for a hug. Now mind you, I HATE being touched especially by people I don't know. But for some reason I opened my arms to her.

As the meeting with her became more frequent, as she made more and more schedule trips to the hospital, I can honestly say that I really did not want to visit her anymore. However, if it were not for her admitting me into the hospital for the MRI, I may have lost the use of my legs. So I have to say that she is REALLY GOOD at her job. Even as she put me into the hospital the second time she came to see me, in which I received these amazing earrings from her. They are green and look like elephants. As she walks out of the room, she gives me another hug, in which she proclaims to me "see you soon".

As the months went on and the chemo treatments continued, so did my visits to her office. I love her staff and they seem to care a lot about me. Unfortunately, due to the fact that I had to receive my treatments at the hospital, I didn't have the moments of being with other cancer patients, so when I saw another patient, I talked to them. So when I went to Dr. "Hugs a lot" office, I made sure that I spoke to everyone just so that I could maybe receive some in-site about chemo treatments.

Dr. "Hugs a lot" is truly amazing and she has really made me feel like an important patient. She really takes the time out to listen to me and what I have to say and my needs. She and I had a chance to talk to one another in an intimate setting where she made sure to listen to all of my emotionally charged issues. I am really lucky to have her in my life even under these sort of circumstances.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to know that you have an Oncologist who really cares. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete