Tuesday, April 12, 2011

School and Cancer.... Like oil and water

Since day one of my journey with cancer, I was a registered full time graduate student. I was in my first year when I was diagnosed. When through I went from no doctors to 4 in a single weekend, I went to every class possible. But as soon as I lost my hair and the fatigue set in things drastically changed. I had to hide what I was doing from all my friends at school. It was really hard but my grades for that semester were:
                                        3 As, a B+, and a B-
I got through it with the grace of God and the angels in my life here in Lafayette.

The spring semester started Jan. 10th: right after my grandmother's funeral and the day before chemo round 4.... It has been a true test of my strength and ability to continue to do the thing that I love. Due to the days that I felt completely unable to walk or move from chemo treatments, I missed classes. Hardest thing to do is stop when you wanna go but I was physically unable. In late February in the middle of chemo round 6, I became extremely dehydrated and I was admitted into the hospital. That following weekend and week I was not allowed to go to class. (I cried every night. I felt my dream slipping away). Even days when I wanted to go to study groups I had only 2 hours before I was ready to pass out, I still didn't tell my friends about how hard it was to be there.

FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS I WAS LIVING A DOUBLE LIFE!! (Which really isn't my personality)

2 comments:

  1. Denise I do not know how you remained in school during this time in your life. I really don't understand how you received A's and B's. You ROCK! I'm not sure many people could have done what you have done, myself included. I'm not sure why you did not share the information with your professors and classmates. You ROCK! You Rock!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. im honestly not surprised u got thru ur first semester even as hard as i can imagine it was.... i recall tellin u that i saw a strength inside u that i didnt c in anybody excludin prolly my moms but that could b a lil bias.... i actually saw some type of divine strength in u but u just didnt c it.... after gettin those grades up there and gettin ready to walk across that stage in Dec. u better doubt urself again!!!!... dont mean 2 yell but u know how i talk

    ReplyDelete