Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"Time to tap your port"....

Many cancer patients that have to undergo chemotherapy have a port place in their chest. A port is an access stop that is under the skin and connected to a catheter that is connected to a major vein in your neck. So the port is used instead of an arm placement to remove blood and do IV drips.

Anyone that has a port understands how horrible they are. Anyone that tells you it doesn't hurt is lying!! Every time they "tap" your port it feels like they are pushing through your skin... It hurts when they do it right, just imagine when they do it wrong?! It's just like someone not bring able to find your vein on your arm except it's a longer needle and more pressure.

Today, I had to get my Zomata treatment and my blood drawn. Nothing extremely worrisome, I do this every month, since September. But no matter how many times they "tap" my port, it still hurts.

For me, my port is a huge eye sore because it is very discolored from the many times it's been tapped. The catheter sticks out on my neck which is hard to explain when someone asks. But hey it's what my chemo mom and I say is collateral damage without it I may not be here.

4 comments:

  1. Glad ur still here...port and all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you consider me your "chemo mom." I couldn't ask for a better daughter chemo or not!!! Love ya kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Janice!! You have truly made my journey a lot easier. I'm so glad that you were open to being there for me during you battle with cancer. Love ya back! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theressa I could not have said it better.

    ReplyDelete