Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Have you ever had a blood transfusion?

Is one of the questions that they ask you as you give blood. Which I use to do every year for my birthday since I was 18. However, now I am not able to give blood for a few years if not ever again my life. Well I guess I will be giving blood for other reasons but not for helping someone else.

I would've never had guess what a blood transfusion is until I was faced with my first one on December 22, 2010. I was told that if I wanted to go home to visit my family during the holiday season, I would need a blood transfusion for more platelets so that I would be able to endure a car ride and a weekend visit with my family. As I agreed to do so in order to visit my family in Atlanta, little did I know that I wasn't going to be able to go home at all due to weather.

The second transfusion came out of left field the weekend of a planned annual event for an organization I was chair for. I wasn't too happy with being back in the hospital that week so I gave the nursing staff a hard time. I just didn't want to be back there for the third time that week. It wasn't a nagging hard time but more like a playful hard time. This time my hemoglobin was too low, that's why I was constantly tired. Lol who knew?!

A blood transfusion is basically an IV dripped blood distribution. You don't get all the blood in your body pumped out and then pumped back in, which I thought. It's just a 6 to 7 hour event that takes place in the hospital outpatient department. It's not fun but if you need platelets in order to save your life then this is how it's done.

2 comments:

  1. You're getting very good at describing medical procedures and medical terminology...Well alright! Keep up the good work...people are learning things from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey cousin! Did you have to get one when you came down to Atlanta in Feb or March? I hate that I didn't get to see you when you came down, but my Dad said you were doing ok. We Love You and keep us posted. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete