Friday, May 27, 2011

How do you forgive..

So as you all know, I gave my dad the chance to come through. He made the effort to come today. He showed up with a smile on his face but I'm not so sure if he was happy in his heart. All I could see is the quilt in his eyes. He has a lot of things that are heavy on his heart. I know that because of the way he speaks and chuckles nervously. As I look at a man who is down on his luck, I realize anything that I have to say to him will only break him more. As I smile and joke with him over current events and stories about my younger brother and sister, I realize that nothing I would say to him would make me feel better and would only hurt him more. So I decided to quietly make casual conversation with my father. I could only feel sorry for someone so suppressed and unhappy with life and just the choices in general. I just wanted to give him everything that he needed in the world. But then I soon realized that you can't help or forgive those who can't help or forgive themselves. I gave him a huge hug and said "I love you" as he walked out the door to then promise to me I will see you again before I get a job. An empty promise that I have heard many times before. I smiled and said to him "I look forward to it." With tears in my eyes and in my heart, I realized there is nothing I can do or change in my dad's life. All I can do is ask God to give me the strength to be there to support him and ask God to continue to give him the strength he needs to support his family. I really hope that my dad finds it within himself to forgive himself. That's all I really want at this point.

2 comments:

  1. You ask the question, "How do you forgive?" By reading this I say, "You already have." You are asking God to give you the strength to support him. That shows you have a sincere and forgiving heart.

    You have forgiven him. That's all that you can do. The ball is in his court now to show forgiveness to everyone including himself...

    I'm so proud of you! You are acting like the adult in this situation. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your job is done --- let go and let God. It's in his hands now. Love you LOTS!

    ReplyDelete