Saturday, June 25, 2011

Relay for life Walk

Hello All!! I'm so sorry for the late posting but I would like to let you all know that its a great thing that I haven't been posting!! I have been busy living a busy "normal" life like a normal graduate student. :-)

Anyway, here is what has happened in the past 24 hours. I went to the Lafayette/ Tippecanoe County Relay for Life survivor's walk. The walk is an annual celebration created by the American Cancer Society (ACS) for funding for cancer research and cancer patients. It happens all over the United States all year round!! The walk occurs for 12 hours straight from about 7pm-7am, where some people stay on the track the entire night but most people start a team and people walk in shifts. It is a great way to see that "cancer never sleeps." I use to do these walks when I was a student in high school for my grandma and my grandpa, then I started to do the walks here at Purdue to keep the tradition alive. So this year's participation was a little bittersweet because I did it for myself, my grandma, my grandpa, my dad, and my sunshine mom, Theretha. It is a great way to exercise for one day at least ;-)

So I started the walk looking for my oncology group, then I went on to realize that my neurosurgeon had pledged to run the entire night for me!! As his assistant walks up to me to tell me that he was there for me, I began to cry! It was all of tears of joy because he didn't know if I would be here or not. So as he rounded the curve, I give him this really big hug with tears in my eyes. He allowed me to hug him!! Believe it or not, he started to cry too!! It was a beautiful moment that I wouldn't change for the world!! My chemo mom was there in her lovely pink with her beautiful children. We walked around the track together for the survivor walk. She also bought me a tribute bag for those who have survived cancer. I also had the chance to see the beautiful smiling faces of my cancer care center employees. They were bright eyed and all smiles as we walked by as survivors. I felt so great to have them all there!!  It was a great time maybe the best time that I have had in a LONG TIME since I was diagnosed.

As the walk came to an end, I went over to the track again to walk with my neurosurgeon. We walk for about 2 miles and we talked about everything!! It was great! I had a chance to get to know him a lot better. I can honestly say that I have a friend in him now. :-) *cue Toy Story theme song*

I THANK YOU ALL FOR COMING OUT TO THE WALK and if you would like to help someone like me or would like to do something nice that only involves you walking. PLEASE, PLEASE do Relay for Life in your local town!!
Chemo mom looking FABULOUS in her pink!! (Some of the kids thought she was a clown)
Chemo mom and I looking good in our survivor
The beginning of the survivor walk
The banners that led the walkers
I'm right behind the banner waving ;-)

Still waiting to start... the host was a little long winded

Chemo mom and I walking together
A better picture
Chemo mom's actual daughter, chemo mom and I as we finish our first lap.

My tribute bag from my chemo mom (THANK YOU!!)

My bag from ACS... although it says In loving memory to David Bruton next to mine, I thought of my uncle being there with me. Right next to me. :-)

My neurosurgeon's assistant and I as I cry from the news
Chemo mom's tribute bag
My AMAZING cancer care team!!
My neurosurgeon as he walks the curves (He's the guy in blue)
It was a guy dressed up to make money for cancer... But he was wearing my cancer color
The best guy in the world, Dr. G and I as he took a quick break
A local sarcoma survivor (7 years) and I
AS ALWAYS remember to support those who need help in research like cancer. We really, really appreciate it!!

5 comments:

  1. GREAT pictures!!!! Wish i had been there! Dr.G is AMAZING!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know where your fellow sarcoma "warrior" got her t-shirt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. Such an amazing group of people... These pictures radiate such love and support. (You know I'm crying)...

    Much love to all,
    Ressa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to mention a VERY SPECIAL kind hearted, funny, giving man that brought joy and laughter into a room, even in his final days. This man is extremely special to someone who is very special to me. Her name is Ressa aka Momma Ressa and Otis Brown is the man who could light up her face with a single joke. He will ALWAYS be remembered in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was also diagnosed with cancer. First lung cancer, which metasized to his brain.... A great man with an amazing personality.

    ReplyDelete