Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 3 of Sarcoma Awareness month

The specific sarcoma subtype that I have is called a hermangiosarcoma. Many of the this rumors are malignant. My tumor started in my liver.


Hemangiosarcoma, also known as malignant hemangiothelioma or angiosarcoma, is a very aggressive, high-grade soft tissue cancer of vascular tissue with the skin, heart and spleen the most common areas affected. Hemangiosarcoma is primarily treated with a combination of surgery and chemotherapy and some radiation. The drug of choice is Doxorubicin and Cyclophosphamide. Surgical removal alone is often not very rewarding. Hemangiosarcomas are rare but extremely deadly forms of cancer. These cancers have a high rate of metastasis, meaning the cancers spread quickly to other parts of the body. When they occur in the spleen, they often spread to the lungs and liver. Likewise, they can spread from the liver to the spleen. Prompt treatment of the hemangiosarcoma cancers is vital to survival, but limited research into hemangiosarcomas makes treatment difficult.

Please read this with a grain of salt. I'm more optimistic that I am more than just a common statistic. As a statistician, I know that people fall above and below the numbers. I'm going to believe I am above the significance level. Like I used to say I'm significant on a 99.9% confidence level. I'm gonna get t-shirts that say that. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work. Education is so very important...

    I am agreeing with you in the Spirit that you are indeed above the statistical numbers...

    "When 2 or more of you gather together in My name...I will be in the midst of you."

    Much Love,
    Ressa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know I had hemangiothelioma Sarcoma, in my spine, vertabrae and rib. That was almost 20 years ago. Randy Quell (Randyquell@live.com)

    ReplyDelete